Friday, June 4, 2010

TV and the Soc. Value of the Simpsons

I'm in this course - titled above - and I have to do a 25-30 minute presentation on gender in the televion show "The Simpsons." 

Obviously, my brain immediately went to the topic of gender stereotyping, but thats such a vanilla topic - anyone doing gender would choose it!  I've finally decided, after a month of contemplating, "positive gender reinforcment within the Simpsons."  I'll probably use clips of the Malibu Stacey/Lisa Lionheart episode, the ep. where Marge gets implants (not sure yet), the ep. where Marge's old BFF is a famous news anchorwoman and possibly others!

I have to use the ideas of two theorists in this presentation, but I haven't decided yet :(  maybe, if I focus heavily on the Malibu Stacey ep. I could use Angela McRobbie/Girls Bedroom Culture?  I don't know!

My teacher, Darren, said I could use the theme from my directed studies course which was Girls in Subcultures, and then talk about how Bart is always attracted to the "bad girl" type and their relevance in the show.  But I'm not sure, I think I like using my own ideas better - even though I technically still would be, I just like to "get there" myself, you know?

We're about 4/5 weeks into this course and I think the greatest life lesson I've learned so far is that I like South Park and Futurama best!

Mid-Simpsons seasons are so good though!  After watching all of the episodes I hadn't seen I think my favourite seasons are like 11-13.

No comments:

Post a Comment